Sunday, June 29, 2014


  • * * * *

  • Series: Lucy Campion Mysteries (Book 2)
  • Hardcover: 352 pages
  • Publisher: Minotaur Books (April 22, 2014)
  • ISBN-13: 978-1250007889

I saw this book at the library and decided to give it a try. I'm very glad that I did! It's a fascinating, mostly historically correct, tale of a murder that occurred just after the great London fire of 1666, they year that many resident's considered the year of the devil. This devastating fire occurred on the heels of the great plague.

A corpse is discovered in a barrel outside of a burned tavern. The tale follows the investigation of the murder by one Emma Campion; maidservant, love to the master's son, printer's apprentice and bookseller as she works with constable Duncan.

Ms. Calkins spins a solid plot with deftly managed twists and turns. I discounted one star for some of what I consider a bit stilted dialogue.Ms. Calkins states in the afterward that she 'modernized' old English. That was a good decision but I felt that some of the dialogue felt strained. That being said I found this to be a very enjoyable read, and I will now be looking forward to reading her fist book and waiting for the third!

ps: I thoroughly enjoyed the afterward to this book which should not be missed. It defines what parts of this novel are straight from the history books and what parts of the history have been fictionally 'massaged' to make the story flow.

4 comments:

mikon said...

The drama was written great and every thing was synchronized in an amazing way so if you need more information so can click for more info about the writer and the director of the drama to give you the right idea behind this.

mikon said...

If you had written some more so it would have been great because you created interest in my mind and I am going to learn more here by buying the book and will read it complete.

tohan gib said...

This story is based on fiction. I just love to read fiction stories. That's the historical story and have a lot of facts about history. I found best https://www.paraphrasingonline.com/5-essential-reasons-to-use-a-rewording-tool/ which help me in reword the sentence.

Anonymous said...

Excellent site, Guidance educates us that how to live in this world or how to pass a playful life. When we think essentially all of these things then we should make our fight for making our nation strong. But you can check https://www.rewritingservices.net/rephrase-a-paragraph-like-a-pro-with-the-help-of-these-7-tips/ site to manage your essay work.