Sunday, February 14, 2010

"The Borgia Bride" by Jeanne Kalogridis


*  *  *  *

I had had this book on my shelf for a bit and decided it was time to read it. I'm glad I did. This novel follows the life of a Bride to the powerful Borgia family. Ms. Kalogridis' summary of the book states:

"...THE BORGIA BRIDE is a sumptuous historical novel of passion, betrayal, scheming and incest, set in the Vatican during the 15th century, one of the most exciting, violent and also sensual times of European history. The plot and characters are based on actual historical personages and events..."

I agree that this book is, to my mind, unique. I have not read many books that focus on the political turmoil of the 15th century in Italy. Oddly enough I have always thought that it was Lucrezia Borgia who had the reputation for using the family recipe for poison. Read this book for another theory!  I sailed through the first part of this book - reading late into the night. Mid story slowed a bit for me - but the pace picked up again for a rousing final quarter of the book. The characters in The Borgia Bride are well crafted and carried through a plot that is well thought out expertly crafted with many unusual twists and turns. 

This book makes me want to read all of Ms. Kalodridis' titles. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would have gone for 5 stars - except for the lag midway through. I don;t think that you would regret reading this fine novel - it's appeal would, obviously, be for anyone who enjoys historical fiction - especially for 15th century Italy - but it would also please any lover of well crafted, fast paced fiction!

Ms. Kalogridis has an excellent website too - have a look : http://jeannekalogridis.com/


7 comments:

Marg said...

I read this book a number of years ago and just loved it to bits. I have read at least one other book by her, but this one is still the best.

Linda said...

I also read about these Borgia bride by jeanne blog post. Most blogger are using these type to theme these days. Your post very informative and I am going to share this on my http://www.sentencerearranger.com/ for my friends, thanks for the nice sharing.

Linda said...

The post looks amazing and I am simply in love with the combination of best information in the entire post http://www.sentenceshuffler.com/ . I would love to own such a palette once.

Linda said...

Wow! You have such a good location to pursue your Borgia bride by Jeanne kalogridis. Only a person’s dedication and determination takes him to his destination. http://www.shouldlooklike.com/101-guide-on-how-your-resume-should-look-like-in-2017/ I see you climbing the stairs of success. You must upload your updated post. Thank you.

mikon said...

A barge is announced for the new scheme of the chapters. The visitors of the https://www.paraphrasingtool.org/ are sound for the happiness. The reflection is termed for the movable items for the humans in different elements.

mikon said...

The content of the book is amazing for myself for the higher studies. The approach of the https://www.rephraser.org/ is vital for the humans. The utility is exposed for the role of the books for the collection of the data for the individuals.

Arlington Home Appraisal said...

I enjoyed rreading your post