Saturday, February 6, 2010

"The First Princess Of Wales" by Karen Harper

 * * * *

I must surely be on a Karen Harper binge! After reading "The Queen's Governess" by Karen Harper last week I decided to read another or her titles, "The First Princess of Wales". I was not disappointed. Although this paperback, published n 2006, sports a hefty 624 pages I have finished it in several days of "bedtime" reading. I have never been a fan of romance novels but it appears that I must be becoming one! I remember when I managed bookstores that I would cast derisive looks at the Harlequin Romance series when they arrived to be shelved. Now here I am reading a book whose title was once "Sweet Passion's Pain"! arghhhh!

This book tells the story, albeit, highly fictionalized, story of Joan of Kent (29 September 1328 – 
7 August 1385)- beloved of Edward, the 'black prince' of Wales15 June 1330 – 8 June 1376). Set during the tumultuous period when threat of war with France was always on the immediate horizon, the tale includes all of the "biggies": love, betrayal, seduction, intrigue, family feuds and war.

I have read reviews of this book that say that it is "over-written"& "historically flawed". I can agree with both of the assessments to a degree. The book is written in a very easy to read style - there are no
pedantic interpretations of history here - and I have read as real historical fiction. In that light I found this book to be an easy, delightful read - and yes, a romance at that. I do think that it offers a true flavor of the period although the hero and heroine are depicted rather as the quintessential lover's -as if Ms. Harper distilled the essence of what a romantic hero and heroine might be.

Was this book worthy of any rewards? No. Was it worthy of a few idle hours of escape? Definitely! If your are looking for a truly historical account of Joan of Kent and her love Prince Edward, look to another venue - but for escapism and distraction I think this is a fine, most enjoyable journey of a read! Ms. Harper even postulates an interesting and amusing historical reason for the term "knights of the garter"!

5 comments:

Linda said...

First princess of wales by karen harper. I love to play this game once I am done with my http://www.paraphrasemachine.com/. The graphics of the game are awesome. This game keeps you glued to the screen. Thank you for sharing this information with all of us.

Linda said...

Hi, thanks for sharing this amazing stuff here about the first princess of wales. Please share more stuff like this with people and good information and content is always appreciated by my http://www.sentencechanger.com/. Keep it up.

Unknown said...

Here is a content of the book of first princess. This http://rephraseonline.com/ link is showing you some of the best way to find books. All these books are important for the reading point of view.

Gabroo said...

Princes of whales is beautiful and honorable for the citizens of the territory. The visits of the https://www.nonplagiarismgenerator.com/ are approached for the humans. The princes is hosting all the guests alone due to the bifurcation of the responsibilities of the crown.

mikon said...

First princes of wales is turned for the utilization of the goals. The visits of the https://www.rewording.org/is-rewording-plagiarism-and-other-questions/ are attached for the honor of the people. The princes of wales is done for the happiness and ideal paths for the students.