Tuesday, December 1, 2009

"O! Juliet" by Robin Maxwell


 * * *

I had just finished a book and looked at the rather tall stack of books on my shelf. What to read?! I had been very in lucky to be able to get an ARC of O! Juliet and I picked it up half expecting that I would put it down momentarily and select another book because I was not in the mood for a re-read of Shakespeare. I found, however, that I couldn't put the book down and I read til the wee hours.

Yes, as  you may read from other reviews on other sites , the character of  Mr.Strozzi is over stated and yes there are far too many references to his yellow teeth and his bad breath - he's the quintessential bad sort of dude. There is also some rather goofy poetry included in the book. It's a lightweight, easy read with characters who are somewhat predictable I suppose. No prize winning novel and not, perhaps, for those who may, because of the title, think that it will, in any way, compare to Shakespeare. It doesn't. I tend to try not to have expectations when I pick up a book other than I expect to always enjoy my favorite authors. I generally enjoy Robin Maxwell's books and although this was not, in my opinion, up to her usual standards, I found this to be very enjoyable none-the-less. I can't give it four stars because  I don't consider it to be exceptional but I can say that my three stars are solid and that this book is worth a try if you're in the mood for a light, easy to read, enjoyable book.

1 comment:

Laura Hartness said...

Okay, now I want to read the book even more! Thanks for your thoughts.

Laura Hartness
The Calico Critic